Brighouse Echo Sport – Town News by Dave Parker

Town completed their first double of the season with a 3-1 home win last Saturday over Newcastle club Hebburn Town.

It was a much needed win and the valuable three points saw Town in mid-table switch positions with Hebburn.

After a lively opening spell by the visitors, Town got on the scoresheet in the 14th minute when Harrison Beeden blasted home a ball parried from keeper Kieran Hunter off a Jack Boyle taken free kick.

Javelle Clarke doubled the score in the 27th minute after his whipped-in cross was returned to him by a stunned Hunter and he steered his ball into the bottom right-hand corner of the net.

Town had a narrow escape when a stunning shot hit the crossbar with Brett Souter beaten and defenders James Hurtley, Beeden, Darius Smith and Sam Reed had to work hard to keep the two-goal lead into the break.

Hebburn pulled one back just after half-time through substitute David Allasan to make for a lively remaining 39 minutes.

Vill Powell’s men, with skipper Tom Haigh bossing midfield with Corey Gregory, gradually restored order and after Boyle had been denied and Clarke had missed an open goal when he scuffed a cross, leading goalscorer Laurence Sorhaindo came poworing into the box from the right and then picked his spot beautifully to beat Hunter and make it 3-1 on 63 minutes.

Souter made two good saves as the Tynesiders did their best to pull another goal back and ensure a tense reaming 20-odd minutes of an entertaining game.

Town, with the use of fresh legs via Alex King, Elliot Harrison and Fernando Moke, chased and then worked every ball they were in possion of to ensure they got the result.

On Saturday they entertain league leaders Marske United (3.0) from a game that was postponed on March 8. Town lost 4-1 up on the Teesside coast back in October.

Marske, currently, are a point ahead of Liversedge but have played a game more.

Town came back from 1-0 down after only five minutes at Stocksbridge Park Steels on Tuesday night to emphatically win for the second game running and also claim their second double of the season.

The final score of 3-1 could have been an even larger scoreline but for the home keeper Mikey Roxburgh and some better finishing.

Skipper Tom Haigh was scintillating in midfield along with the workhorse Corey Gregory, while up front once they got going, Laurence Sorhaindo, Jack Boyle and Javelle Clarke ran the oppostion raggied.

A rare James Hurtley slip up in defence with a stray back pass allowed the home side their first goal after five minutes when their skipper Luke Mangham took advantage and easily beat Brett Souter.

Town bounced back with the equaliser in the 14th minute when a corner ball from Jack Boyle was sweetly headed in by leading goalscorer Sorhaindo.

Despite further good attempts on goal upto half time from Haigh, Mohammed Ibrahim, Sorhaindo and Boyle, it remained 1-1.

Town went ahead in the 63rd minute after substitute Shiraz Khan danced his way into the box and fed Sorhaindo who burried the ball in the net for his 16th goal of the season.

By now Souter was becoming a spectator but he did have to pull off two good saves as the north Sheffield side did rally for five minutes.

In the 78th minute Zeph Thomas subsitituted for Boyle and with his first kick of the ball he took Town’s lead to 3-1.

With Harrison Beeden, Hurtley, Darius Smith and the every improving teenager Sam Reed in charge at the back there was no chance there would be a slip up in this last ten minutes of game management.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email