Town through to County Cup quarter Finals – by Dave Parker

TOWN marched into the quarter-finals on Wednesday night of the West Riding County FA Senior Cup with a 5-1 victory over NCEL Premier Division club Thackley, writes Dave Parker.

There was a bad blow for the player and the club in the warm up when Town’s U-17 player Henry Henderson tore a hamstring very badly and had to be helped from the field of play and back into the dressing rooms. He was replaced on the bench by the experienced Corey Gregory who had to replace Tom Haigh in the 55th minute, the long serving player having picked up an ankle injury.

Town were on the scoreboard after just eight minutes when Alex King came in from the left and put a precision pass into the box for Jack Boyle to hammer home. The impressive King found the back of the net himself 11 minutes later when he beat two defenders and then picked his spot to leave keeper Jack Holroyd grasping thein air.

Town had more first half chances against a team a division below them who also ensured their hosts worked hard. Their number 7 Lewis Waddington was a real handful out on the right and it was his surging run to the box that brought his side a penalty in the 44th minute.

Following protests, which referee Aaron Bannister waved away, former Town player Albert Ibrahimi slotted home from the spot.

The second half was only two minutes old when Elliot Harrison, who was on top form, restored Town’s two goal lead and on 66 minutes he backheeled Town into a 4-1 lead. Assistant referee Chris Moore confirmed to the referee the ball had gone over the line.

Thackley remained competitive throughout but came up against an enthusiastic Town side who could have seen Harrison bag his hat-trick had it not been for a good save from Holroyd. Talking of good saves and Souter made a cracking save midway through the second half when palming the ball away from his far post when a goal looked all on.

Town did make it 5-1 in the 90th minute when Boyle, who had covered some ground on the night, came in from the left and when just inside the box he let one of his piledrivers go which curled round Holroyd and into the net.

Good work on the night in defence from Matty Nebard, making a rare start, Josh Grant, Harry Wilkinson and Harrison Beeden.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email