Brighouse echo Sport – Town News by Dave Parker.

A LAURENCE Sorhaindo hat-trick ensured Brighouse Town gained revenge over Frickley Athletic for a 2-1 reverse at their South Elmsall ground back in August and they kept their unbeaten home league and cup run going.

The club’s leading goalscorer was on the scoresheet after six minutes when he banged home a penalty after being brought down in the box.

Ten minutes later and a ball from the left found Frickley’s Rio Monyneaux on his own on the right an he saw off the challenge of Josh Grant and firmly planted the ball in the top corner of the net out of the reach of Brett Souter.

Town’s heads didn’t go down and Corey Gregory and Thomas Haigh ensured in midfield that their side got on top in the remainder of the half.

The second half was only a minute old and a ball came down the centre of the pitch and Sorhaindo controlled and then headed for goal, seeing off two defenders with guile and strength and then when facing keeper Joshua Chapman he drew him and then slotted the ball into the empty net.

Town were really piling on the pressure with Shiraz Khan and Sorhaindo attacking with strength and purpose. The third goal after the third of succession of corners came in the 69th minute and Grant’s in-swinger was mishandled by under pressure Chapman and Sorhaindo pounced to hammer into the net to make it 3-1.

Fresh legs from Jack Boyle, Elliot Harrison, who was very impressive in his cameo role, and Mikey Starkey ensured that Frickley’s movement up field and chances were very limited in the last 20 minutes. The added time in the second half was very feisty and Bradford referee Darius Bradley brought his cautions to seven for the match with five minutes on the clock.

Saturday’s game proved to be the last in a Brighouse Town shirt for ex-Emley fullback Starkey who has been crossed off this week after an approach from his village club Golcar United who play in the North West Counties League Division and are currently league leaders, three points ahead of new club Bury AFC.

Town, who were last night (Wednesday) entertaining Thackley in the re-arranged second round of the West Riding County FA Senior Cup, are away on Saturday at Gateshead club Dunston (3.00). They drew 0-0 with Dunston on the opening game of the season at the Yorkshire Payments Stadium and the Tynesiders are currently in sixth place to Town’s10th position.

There is a coach leaving the Old Pond, Hove Edge at 10.45.

Town will then have a break from fixtures until the Monday after Christmas, December 27, when current second-placed Liversedge are the visitors and Town officials are preparing for a big turnout for the derby game.

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email