By David Foy 

It was yet another goal-fest at the Yorkshire Payments Stadium; a feat spectators are becoming accustom to in this part of West Yorkshire. 

The first action of the day saw Town ‘keeper George Clarke block a Dunston shot with his legs as their man was sent through on the left hand side of Clarke’s box. 

In the 2nd minute a free kick on the left right out by the corner flag was whipped high across the box, headed back into the mix Dunston ‘keeper Connell mis-handled leaving James Hurtley to lash the ball home. 1-0 to Brighouse. 

Connell however did not have long to wait to atone for his earlier error as his excellent kicking set Connor Bell away, out came George Clarke who upended Bell. Up stepped Terry Galbraith firing to his left and sending Clarke the opposite way. 

Five minutes later the league leaders went ahead. What appeared to be a lackluster free kick to the near post was not dealt with properly by the Brighouse defense before falling at the feet of Michael Hall leaving Clarke with no chance from close range. 

So far four shots on target warranting three goals in the opening eleven minutes. The Tynesiders strong defensive combined with the effectiveness and danger posed by Connell’s distribution demonstrating why they are early pacesetters. Brighouse remain determined however and tried to find their wide men in Eddie Church and Javelle Clarke. Whilst Eli Hey worked very hard down the middle the aforementioned UTS backline quelled most of his threat. 

Church had two shots of a similar type; cutting in on his right foot from the left side before hitting both into the sidenetting from outside the box. Chances into the box from any type of deadball situations were on the whole good from Brighouse usually orcastrated via Sam Reed. 

Unfortunately from an Orange Army point-of-view in the 39th minute Dunston opened up a two goal lead. Almost a carbon copy of the goal that had given them the lead, UTS appeared to scuff a corner into the near post from the left, it was not dealt with and Galbraith added his second of the game. 

The similarities did not end there for the West Yorkshire club; this mirrored Saturdays encounter versus the City of Liverpool as they also opened up a two goal lead on the stroke of half time. Were Brighouse, despite their determination in the final third about to be overrun by the table toppers into the second half? 

The first twenty minutes of the second half passed without much incident before the introduction of Laurence Sorhaindo for Jack Boyle injected some fresh life and more height into the attack. Alhassane Keita came on soon after for Eddie Church and the two substitutions from Vill Powell proved pivitol. 

Picture Paul Gascoigne versus Scotland at Euro 96 and one would have almost a perfect like-for-like version from Keita in the 72nd minute. Though further out wide on the left than the bleach blonde haired ‘Gazza’ Keita flicked it over the head one then two defenders before firing low and under Connell. Two goals of individual brilliance in the space of a week for Brighouse following on from Josh Grant’s first time volley from 45 yards versus Runcorn Linnets; both Goal of The Season contenders. 

Brighouse had also been in this situation just over forty eight hours previously. 1-3 down and pulling the game back to 2-3. Would Brighouse crumble once more? 

Simple answer is no they would not tonight. Not even two minutes later, a smart shot on the swivel for Sorhaindo levelled matters. With Brighouse in the ascendency now and still quarter of an hour to play there was more than enough time for at least another goal in this encounter. 

It would however be the league leaders that delivered a suckerpunch. A cross came in from the right side all the way across the box and debutant Connor Bell received the gift at the back post to ensure all three points were going back up the A1 with the Tynesiders. 

Brighouse now break from league action to take on Kendal Town away in the FA Trophy whilst Dunston host Clitheroe in the same competition this Saturday 17th October. 

Brighouse Town: George Clarke, Darius Smith, James Hurtley (Booked), Kurt Harris (C), Jack Tinker, Sam Reed, Tom Haigh (Jacob Mattock – 77′), Javelle Clarke, Eddie Church (Booked) (Alhassane Keita – 64′), Jack Boyle (Laurence Sorhaindo – 63′), Eli Hey. 
Sub not used: Matt Smith. 
Goals: Janes Hurtley (2), Alhassane Keita (74) & Laurence Sorhaindo. 

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on whatsapp
Share on email