Brighouse Echo Sport – Town News from The Heffernan Utilities Stadium by Dave Parker

A fruitful week for Brighouse Town in cup and league football with two excellent wins over Thackley and Consett.

Last Wednesday, Town, after a disastrous start in the first 15 minutes which saw them 2-0 down to the Northern Counties East side, came back to win 3-2 in the West Riding County FA Senior Cup and go into the hat on November 1 for round two.

They had to thank leading goal scorer Mo Qasim for slotting home a penalty in the 44th minute, and then with a man of the match performance in the second period equalise before Myron Gibbons hit the winner later in the game.

On the Saturday,(match sponsored by Intermotors Ltd) at home to Consett, who were in sixth-place at the start of the day, they won 3-1, although they could have had five or six goals while there visitors with a strong period in the second half could have had at least three but for solid defending by Darius Smith, Brandon Webster, Alex Phillipson, Jack Dando and Matty Nebard plus keeper Harry Garman who pulled off one outstanding save shortly after the Durham-based side had pulled a goal back in the 69th minute through Zak Atkinson.

Town started very well in the game and should have been a goal up after six minutes when Qasim was through one-on-one with keeper James Anderson, but he was denied. Town continued to press and Qasim wasn’t denied on 15 minutes when he split the home defence wide open from 22 yards out and then went into the box to this time beat Anderson.

Town were looking for goal number two and it came via a gift from the visiting custodian who spilled a cross and there to tap home was centre-back Alex Phillipson.

Hoping to try and put the game to bed before the break, Town then had the ball in the net again but Jack Normanton was ruled narrowly offside and 10 minutes later Dando, from a corner, headed powerfully against the crossbar.

Turning round 2-0 up, Town did continue to try and add to their scoreline with some great runs by Smith, Webster and Qasim but were denied and once the Consett manager made three changes it certainly made a difference, and especially after they had opened their account.

However, Town held out and in the 88th minute substitute Gibbons came in from the right, shrugged off a defender and then sent a rasping shot across the face of goal and into the net to make it 3-1.

Town ensured with good game management they could see out the seven minutes of added time.

Following the final whistle referee Sam Bragg, who issued five cautions to each side, showed a red card to Consett manager Tony Fawcett.

On Friday evening, in form Town travel the short distance to Ingfield to take on Ossett United (7.45) and then next Tuesday they travel to Bridlington to take on the seasiders (7.45). There will be a coach to Bridlington leaving the Dusty Miller at 4.15pm.

Marske United have hauled loanee Jorge Sikora back as the NPL Premier strugglers have injury problems, while fellow defender Aderemi Efunnuga has signed for Stalybridge Celtic following lack of outings with Town.