Brighouse Echo Sport – Town News from the Heffernan Utilities Stadium by Dave Parker

The resulting heavy and continuous rain from storm Babet caused the postponement of Brighouse Town’s away derby game with Ossett United last Friday evening. The clubs didn’t waste time in coming up with another date once the referee called if off at 11.30am and will hope Tuesday, November 21 (7.45pm) will be significantly better weatherwise.

Town manager Vill Powell then looked to this past Tuesday evening’s re-arranged away game at Bridlington Town who had a very good 3-2 away win at Carlton Town in the city of Nottingham.

It doesn’t look good for him and the squad over Markse United loanee centre-back Jorge Sikora who was pulled back by the North East club after Town’s FA Trophy game at Ashton United and since then they have pulled off the bottom of the Pitching In Northern Premier League Premier Division table with two successive wins including an impressive 4-1 away win last Saturday at Atherton Collieries.

He does have defender Curtis Peters and midfielder Jack Crook almost ready for a return to action after lengthy leg injuries and Matty Nebard was in good form against Consett back in his familiar centre-back role.

Newly promoted north Lincolnshire club Winterton Rangers have placed a statutory seven day notice on Doncaster-based striker Myron Gibbons who is certainly finding the net this season and is showing opposition defenders he has pace to burn. Powell was set to talk to the player this week and let him know where he stands for a future with Brighouse

On Saturday, Town entertain league leaders Belper Town (3.00pm) and hope their gate will be increased not only by the good following of the Derbyshire Club who have been averaging over 550 attendances but also owing to the fact Leeds United and Huddersfield Town will have completed their lunchtime derby at Elland Road and FC Halifax Town are playing at York City with a 5.30 kick-off.

Belper chairman Ian Woodward was interviewed on the BBC TV News bulletins on Saturday with the Raygar Stadium in the background under floodwater. They have been mopping up over the early part of the week with the water having got to all parts of the ground.

Town have drawn Bradford club Campion in the second round of the West Riding County FA Senior Cup and will host the Northern Counties East Premier Division side who knocked them out last season and then went on to win the trophy on Monday, November 13 (7.45).

Town Women had another big win this past Sunday when defeating Harrogate Town Reserves 11-0 at the Heffernan Utilities Stadium.

They led 6-0 at the break and their goals came from prolific new signing Hannah Burgess (5), Casey Hadwin (2), player-manager Cara Mahoney, Summer Hadwin, Maddie Read and Daniella Brearley. On Sunday they entertain Eccleshill United (2.00pm).

Former Rastrick dual sportsman and Town supporter Mungo Sheppard was celebrating another milestone on Sunday for his nephew by marriage, Jack Welsby, the St Helens RL full-back. Mungo, who played cricket for Rastrick CC and Badger Hill CC and local Sunday League football and for Brighouse Town, saw Welsby captain England to a 22-18 win over Tonga in the first of three Test Matches. He is also the headmaster of Halifax school Ash Green Community Primary in the village of Mixenden.

Tuesday’s visit to Bridlington turned out to be a catastrophic one as Town, having `settled’ 2-0 down after 21 minutes could have had at least five goals in the net but for the goalkeeping of James Hitchcock.

Myron Gibbons was denied twice with diving tip overs, Mo Qasim was denied and there were two other instances in six yard goal scrambles where the keeper just got down to bury the ball on the line.

Apart from their two goals, Bridlington only had one other chance but Harry Garman parried the ball across the box.

On the whistle for half-time, Malton referee McCauley Gibson issued a red card to Town centre-back Jack Dando and then sent for Town’s captain Josh Grant to come out from the dressing rooms and he then showed him a red card. This followed a skirmish between the two players after the added on time.

Town resumed the second half with nine men and less striker Jack Normanton who was subbed by defender Samuel Bentley.

The players left to battle on did very well and only saw one more goal go in the net to make it 3-0. Plus they nearly had two of their own as substitute Ashley Butterworth just couldn’t guide a shot and then a header into the net. He had a very good second forty minutes and impressed all the spectators in the ground.