Brighouse Echo Sport – Town News by Dave Parker

Brighouse Town secured a maximum six points over the Bank Holiday weekend with a home win over Grantham Town and an away win at Liversedge following a narrow 3-2 setback last Wednesday evening at Grimsby Borough.

At Grimsby, Town took the lead through leading goalscorer Mohammad Qasim on 31 minutes but were pegged back on 45 minutes by a Jack Richardson strike.

Into the second half and they were 3-1 down in a nine minute spell, with both goals for the home side coming from the same area of the pitch-the righthand side- as goalscorer Luis Adlard struck home in the 54th and 63rd minute.

Heads did not go down and Town hit back via Qasim in the 68th minute to reduce the arrears and they then proceeded to hit the cross bar and the foot of a post but just could not get the equaliser.

Last Saturday against Grantham Town Vill Powell’s charges were 4-0 up at half-time and they could easily have added another three with steadier finishing.

Town took the lead in the 10th minute through Qasim and a minute later were 2-0 up after Myron Gibbons had banged one in.

Before and after Alex Phillipson had hammered home goal number three in the 39th minute, Town had those numerous chances to have been even further ahead but had to settle for another Gibbons strike in the 45th minute to make it 4-0.

In the second half Grantham pushed further forward and on 65 minutes Anthony Dwyer reduced the arrears with a powerful shot to beat Harry Garman in the Town goal.

This became 4-2 in the 77th minute and the visitors now had the incentive to go for more attacks on the Town goal.

Town, however, held out and picked up a vital three points.

On Monday afternoon Town travelled the four miles to Liversedge for what was expected to be a hotly contested derby game.

It was played out in front of a 519 crowd and the whole game was end-to-end football.

It was Town who scored the only goal of the match when they were awarded a penalty for hand ball in the 41st minute and a minute later Qasim had made that 1-0 when he sent former Town keeper Jason Porter the wrong way.

Town were well led all the game by skipper Josh Grant and right back Curtis Peters who is looking a tremendous find.

In the second half Town almost made it 2-0 when Qasim curled a superb shot to the left of Porter but the experienced keeper managed to palm it away for a corner. Town also had a good chance to try and make the game safe through Ashley Butterworth and Porter kept that out and new signing and former Morecambe player Seb Bolton also tested him.

At the other end Harry Garman was also under pressure as the home side pushed forward and Town were only saved by his keeping and the crossbar.

Darius Smith, Sam Drake, Sam Bentley Phillipson and Jack Crook also put in great shifts to ensure after a 57 minute second half with added time that they came away with three points.

On Saturday at the Heffernan Utilities Stadium, Town entertain Albion Sports in the first qualifying round of the Emirates FA Cup (3pm). The Horsfall Stadium, Bradford-based club are unbeaten in the Northern Counties East Premier Division after three games and last Sunday under the watchful eye of Vill Powell they beat North East club Billingham Town 5-0 in the FA Vase.

Bradford City player Sam Bentley is cup tied and ex-Bantam Jack Wilson (ankle) is injured, but Town have a strong squad to choose from for what will undoubtedly be a tough encounter.